mandag den 18. marts 2013

Life at Ocean Avenue #1

The main purpose of this post is an attempt to arrange my schedule, which is going to be very tight next week.

At the moment I am TIG-welding on a metal sculpture. It is difficult but very addictive and I have kinda lost track of time and spent way too much energy at this one sculpture / object.
It is a go at a propeller wing and there is a direct link from when I was a kid and built AIRFIX plastic scale models to this. Also it is not bringing anything new to the table in the terms that it is yet another sculpture made in my comfort zone. It has helped my welding skills and also there's a certain language in the construction that I would like to develop further. It is beautiful as fuck though. Photo will be up at my website soon.
Update: I finished the sculpture now. It is called 'precious object' and I basically spent my spring break making it.

End of next week is the 2nd critique, and I want to make an installation about Peter Freuchen and an incident that happened at the 5th Thule Expedition in the 1920's. He was in charge of the most northernly trading station in the world. At one dog sleigh fare he got caught in a snow blizzard and dug himself a cave to wait out the storm in. Unfortunately Peter Freuchen was caught by the masses of snow that had driftet on top. And so , now, he shaped a chisel out of his own faeces. He waited for it to freeze and then used it to dig a tunnel out of the cave. As a result his one foot had gotten frostbites and had to get amputated. Instead he got a wooden leg, as in, a peg leg!
I am not really preoccupied with the historic facts , I am interested in how to tell the story using objects and imagery.


Photos of Peter Freuchen (I just realize that I've already written the tale about him before)


Since last time I made a post I've seen a lot a lot of art.
We went to Spring Break Art Show and Volta which are both big art fairs that has to do with the Armory Show - (which I did not go to).
We also visited Dia:Beacon a museum sporting an incredible collection. I liked the work of Serra, Chamberlain, Robert Smithson and  some of Louise Bourgeois sculptures. I don't care at all about Beuys. Fuck that overrated felt shit.
Yesterday was the opening of Jacob Dahlstrup's show 'Cosmogonia' which I loved unconditionally.

3 weeks have passed since the apocalyptic disaster of my laptop breaking.
I still haven't recovered my files from the bust hard drive, but it is just a matter of paying for it. I've come to the conclusion that 25 photo albums are more important than any moneay.

Monday I am going to paint the 4 by 4 feet pedestal that I built today. I am going to buy a tarp and some grommits, a knife, fork and plate, white candles and some 2nd hand action figures. I am going to check out a Nikon d600 or 700 from the school. I am going to have dinner with our room mates.

Jøssses, Tuesday is going to be more intense!