tirsdag den 29. januar 2013

Exchange Week #2

It seems like time is moving slightly faster here than in Europe.

Still, I haven't made anything that would count as my own work. I changed the film class with a course called Robotics & Physical Computing. Not that the film class wasn't relevant to my work, the class just turned out to be more about how to show your work - the beaming, than the actual filming. With the name "Multimedia Installation" I probably should've guessed it.
Anyway I am happy about the new class, the teacher is young, talented, into it and keeps a webpage: www.ericforman.com/

In the welding class we are starting out learning oxy-fuel welding which is fun and difficult.

In the drawing class we are drawing.

In sculpture class we have a presentation due in 3 weeks. I have an idea of what I want to make, but I should probably wait spilling it out, a lot can change and I feel obliged to the idea if I put it down in writing. It is probably going to relate to Porfirio_Rubirosa, Alfonso_de_Portago and Hans-Joachim_Marseille. A kind of biographical installation loosely based on real-life myths. The documentation afterwards is gravely important.
I am kind of re-evaluating which direction I would like to take my artistic practice. Or maybe it is a clumsy wording - 'develop it' I guess. I am aiming for a complex installation with a strong narrative whereas earlier I have aimed subconciously for The Masterpiece aka one brilliant art work containing everything that I wanted to say. I looked at Roman Signer and Jean Tinguely and I thought: Wow. I want to be that concise.


I went to MoMA and I did not see 'the clock' but I fell head over heels in love with their section of Arte Povera. Also I saw a performance take place.
Yikes.
I have yet to see a performance that is not vomit inducing. I fucking hate that shit. I can not recall the name of the artist..
On the ground floor, a whole wall is used to project Guido Van Der Werve's:
"Nummer acht, everything is going to be all right". Absolutely brilliant work - and by a former Rietveld student (I think).

Guido Van Der Werve - Nummer acht, everything is going to be all right - video -  2007



Over and out.